Wednesday, August 15, 2007

My Father Says

My father told me that, as a living human being, I am a threat to all living things.

He told me that he hates the urban coyotes, because they threaten human beings.

Two-hundred species a day.

He looks at the shuttle launch and says, "Child, this is our future."

He says that if God didn't want us to do this, he wouldn't have given us the knowledge.

The rocket burns a ton of fuel every second. We have lift off.

He says that he only wishes he'd had the things I have when he was young.

The world is full of opportunity, he says. I can be anything, he says.

I can't look him in the eye. His lofty tone disturbs me. "How much longer?" I think.

He tells me that education is the most important thing. He says I am a fool to think otherwise.

He tells me I am a fool. He says I am immature. His IQ is very high, he says.

In the end I think it's obvious. I don't want to be like you.

They tell me to give it time, my life is just around the corner,

but no amount of imagination will free me from the maze

For this I need a hammer and a gun.

1 comment:

Jason DuMars said...

You are both eloquent and enlightened. Once I am off "spectator status" on the Derrick Jensen forum, I will enjoy discussing topics with you.

All my best,

Jason